It seems I regularly get asked by some of my girlfriends what I'm doing for my skincare routine. It's a baffling but flattering question, because I don't know if my skin is any better than anyone else, I just know the products I use and love. So take my suggestions below and see what works for you!
My mom started selling Mary Kay when I was 11 (it was one the first skincare lines- she's 69 and has the best skin on the planet!), so I learned early that taking care of your skin at all times is important. I'm happy to share what I love! This is my morning regimen, I'll be posting my PM Edition soon.
Here are my steps:
1) Don't 'wash' your face - What?!? sounds crazy, but a model friend here in the city (you would recognize her from being the face of J.Crew during the late 90s) said she doesn't wash her face, she rinses it with clean water in the morning. It keeps in the good oils and vitamins you've built up while you slept. Ever since I did that my skin has been so much less dry, and consequently I've broken out so much less! *this is different on my workout mornings, after my workout I will use my cleanser that I use at night***
2) C E Ferulic - I was introduced to this 2+ years ago and am addicted. Ever since then, fellow believers have come out of the woodwork! Best kept secret that everyone knows! It renews your skin creates a smoothness that takes years off. I take 5 or 6 drops and spread them on my face, neck and décolletage. The bottle will last for about 4 months. My dermatologist said to take an additional drop and divide it for under each eye, which I was doing until I came across this product:
3) PCA Skin Ideal Complex Restorative Eye Cream - I'm kinda loving this stuff, it restores and renews the under eye area. Really brightens under the eyes. All I care about is the fact that my dark circles (that I've had since I was 2!) are lessened.
4) Vichy Aqualia Thermal Rich Cream - You have to moisturize before putting your makeup on, and this is somehow thick (meaning, moisturizing!) and light at the same time. I love the French and their amazing skincare lines! I've used Vichy products since I lived in Paris 15 years ago. Take a light smudge for forehead, cheeks and chin, and add more if your skin is still dry.
5) Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense Sunscreen SPF 50- a long drop of this stuff goes a long way; sunscreen is necessary even in the greyest days of winter! I like this because it's tinted, and since I use a matte powder instead of any sort of liquid for my makeup, this acts as a primer as well as a sunscreen.
**** Another option from Vichy that I use if you want to combine numbers 4 and 5 is Aqualia Thermal 24 hr Hydrating Fortifying Lotion SPF 25 - it's light and quick to apply. Moisturizes well along with a good 25 SPF! I use it on my way to the gym in the morning, or when I'm going to be out sans makeup for a while.
**** When I was in France this summer, this gorgeous French woman spoke to me a long time about how my skin was dehydrated (it totally was!) and recommended additional moisturizing. This Skinceuticals B5 Gel (just one drop for your whole face!) takes the edge off winter-dried skin. I use it when my face looks or feels dry, under makeup.
- I drink a TON of water - like 3 to 5 Liters a day. I try not to match my Diet Coke intake to that volume!
- If I'm not wearing makeup like running a race, going to the beach, or skiing, I put this Bobbi Brown Eye Brightener under my eyes just to take the edge off - for some of you lucky girls this might be all you need daily! (I happen to need plaster under my eyes...!)
- I get Botox - I bet I'm the first blogger to admit this, but everyone is doing it. Let me tell you, it makes a huge difference in preventing wrinkles. My dermatologist does the bare minimum, and I do it once a year or once every 9 months on my forehead. Look into it and find someone you trust! I also do fillers sometimes, like Juvederm, when I'm looking gaunt.
- I ask girlfriends I've met and have known for years what works for them. Don't be shy, speak up- if someone has great skin, ask them what they're doing!
Tell me your faves, I'd love to hear!